Wednesday, February 5, 2014

New New Year's Wardrobe Task

Well, last year I swore off buying clothes for the year.  I did not buy a single piece of clothing for myself with the exception of a pair of riding pants.  My old ones finally got so worn that no amount of patching could make them wearable.  My sewing skills do not encompass equestrian gear.  I tried that once a few years ago, and never even finished the pants I attempted to make.  I did get four new tee shirts last year, but all four were gifts from my husband.

This year I had not planned on doing any kind of resolution, I probably still will not buy any/many clothes, mainly because I can't afford the ones I like.  However, in reading a sewing blog that I found not too long ago,  I found a task that I was planning on taking on anyway.    Madalynne is a young sewer from Florida who now lives in Philadelphia.  She linked to Sarai Mitnick of The Collette Sewing Handbook fame as a style maven.  For Sarai's new year, she is doing a series on Architecting a Wardrobe.  I wasn't so sure I wanted to follow along at first, as I read the first few exercises, but I got to exercise 3 which was about shapes and I got interested.  I know that I need to pare down my wardrobe and really focus on the pieces that I want/need to sew to fill out my wardrobe rather than willy nilly picking things to sew on a whim.  So, I decided to give this whole exercise a shot.

So, here is goes.  I am going to summarize the first three exercises, but basically....

On Making Style More Personal and Defining a Core Style

  • I am/was a tomboy who never liked frills or ruffles
  • I like high fashion, but I am not trendy
  • I want unique, quality pieces that fit 
  • I want to feel confident and attractive without being conspicuous, awkward, gawky, or frumpy (who doesn't right?)
  • I like quirky, layered and funky, but can't seem to pull it off for myself
  • I like pieces that are architectural, unique, fitted and stylish
  • I like Ingrid Bergman and Audrey Hepburn


On Exploring Shape:  The Shapes I Love

  • Fitted dresses
  • Somewhat fitted pants (fitted, but not skintight)
  • Fitted jackets
  • Cardigans
  • Somewhat fitted outerwear
  • Skirts: Aline, straight and pencil
  • Below waist, but above hip for pants and skirts
  • High waisted skirts
  • V-necks, U-necks, turtlencks
  • Above elbow sleeves, 3/4 sleeves, long sleeves, and some sleeveless things
On Exploring Shape:  The Shapes I HATE for myself
  • Very loose clothing
  • Miniskirts (okay, I loved them when I was younger but not so much now-- a bit age inappropriate)
  • Hip huggers or anything that gives you a muffin top or someone a look down your backside when you lean over
  • Boatnecks, cowls, square, halter tops, Off shoulder, strapless
  • Cap sleeves, spaghetti straps

What would I like to wear?  Hmmmm, let me see if I can find some images.....


This image is from mage from Selvedge.  This is a Bruce Oldfield design of a boucle wool coat with a floral collar. 


An interesting jacket from Downton Abby.


A dress from Madame Gres circa 1935.  This dress is up for auction.   I do notice that all of these pieces are cream or neutral, but my color is green.  

Anyone else up for this?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! You'll find like-minded folks here: http://www.facebook.com/thetailorproject

    ReplyDelete