This year I had not planned on doing any kind of resolution, I probably still will not buy any/many clothes, mainly because I can't afford the ones I like. However, in reading a sewing blog that I found not too long ago, I found a task that I was planning on taking on anyway. Madalynne is a young sewer from Florida who now lives in Philadelphia. She linked to Sarai Mitnick of The Collette Sewing Handbook fame as a style maven. For Sarai's new year, she is doing a series on Architecting a Wardrobe. I wasn't so sure I wanted to follow along at first, as I read the first few exercises, but I got to exercise 3 which was about shapes and I got interested. I know that I need to pare down my wardrobe and really focus on the pieces that I want/need to sew to fill out my wardrobe rather than willy nilly picking things to sew on a whim. So, I decided to give this whole exercise a shot.
So, here is goes. I am going to summarize the first three exercises, but basically....
On Making Style More Personal and Defining a Core Style
- I am/was a tomboy who never liked frills or ruffles
- I like high fashion, but I am not trendy
- I want unique, quality pieces that fit
- I want to feel confident and attractive without being conspicuous, awkward, gawky, or frumpy (who doesn't right?)
- I like quirky, layered and funky, but can't seem to pull it off for myself
- I like pieces that are architectural, unique, fitted and stylish
- I like Ingrid Bergman and Audrey Hepburn
On Exploring Shape: The Shapes I Love
- Fitted dresses
- Somewhat fitted pants (fitted, but not skintight)
- Fitted jackets
- Somewhat fitted outerwear
- Skirts: Aline, straight and pencil
- Below waist, but above hip for pants and skirts
- High waisted skirts
- V-necks, U-necks, turtlencks
- Above elbow sleeves, 3/4 sleeves, long sleeves, and some sleeveless things
On Exploring Shape: The Shapes I HATE for myself
- Very loose clothing
- Miniskirts (okay, I loved them when I was younger but not so much now-- a bit age inappropriate)
- Hip huggers or anything that gives you a muffin top or someone a look down your backside when you lean over
- Boatnecks, cowls, square, halter tops, Off shoulder, strapless
- Cap sleeves, spaghetti straps
What would I like to wear? Hmmmm, let me see if I can find some images.....
This image is from mage from Selvedge. This is a Bruce Oldfield design of a boucle wool coat with a floral collar.
An interesting jacket from Downton Abby.
A dress from Madame Gres circa 1935. This dress is up for auction. I do notice that all of these pieces are cream or neutral, but my color is green.
Anyone else up for this?