Saturday, August 10, 2013

New Summer Dress

My daughter spotted a dress in a fancy dress shop the other day.  It was a jersey knit, halter type dress with a 60's vibe.  I told her I would make her one rather than pay the $180 price tag for the one in the shop (I don't even buy myself dresses like that!)  My son and daughter are growing fast and things tend not to even last a few months before they are too short or too tight.  My 12 year old son went from a size 14 slim in April to a 16 just last week.  Thank goodness they still put elastic bands in the pants.  He is too big for the 14, and way to slim for the 16's and too tall to boot.

Anyway, I had this little pattern I bought a couple of years ago, so for my slim daughter I made the size 7 dress with a size 12 length.  It turned out really cute.  We found the right pattern in the fabric sold as bathing suit fabric.  For the most part it was an easy sew except the neckline which was a bear because the bathing suit fabric would not hold a pressed pleat.  But, I think it turned out great, and more importantly she loves it.



No comments:

Post a Comment