I have finished the bottom of the sweater up to the armholes. I am now working on the sleeves which are then joined to the bottom. The bottom of the sweater is knit in the round. I hope to finish in time to wear the sweater in the spring.
I went looking for buttons last week and found some at a local knit shop that I LOVED. But, when I looked at the price I was really bummed; they were $216. There were 3 buttons in a stack and five stacks, supposedly all were vintage buttons. I came home and got on the internet to search. I didn't find an exact match, but I did find these great little bakelite buttons for $10.45 for 6. The are little 1/2 inch buttons in various colors with a rounded surface on top and an interesting shape. They are the littlest buttons in the pile below. Next, I decided to see if I could find some others that would work with these little vintage buttons in a stack. I found some dark reddish brown buttons, and light wood-toned hexagonal buttons.
I haven't decided if I will use them like this. I like them better in person than in the photo below, but I will keep thinking about it. I may still embroider the buttons for this sweater and save the ones below for another sweater. I will keep you posted.