I finished sewing the skirt of the coat and I attached it to the bodice. I knew that I needed some kind of finish for the edge, but did not have enough fabric for a facing, so I had dyed some silk at the same time that matched the coat, so I cut this into bias. I sewed bias all around the edge of the coat. Here is a close-up for the binding.
Here is a photo of the front of the coat with the binding in place. I was originally thinking of putting a sculptural collar of leaves around the front, but I think it would really detract from the pleating in the bodice. So, I am holding the leaves in reserve for now to see if they will go someplace else. The next piece I need to get done on the coat is to find some kind of button closure.
Here is a side view of the coat. As you can see there are a couple of things going on. The jacket needs some padding in the shoulders, not much, but just a bit for shaping. The arm in the photo below looks a bit collapsed, but it looks much better on me. My dressmaker form has narrow shoulders compared to me. Finally, I need to put on a cuff. I will use the silk to make a turned back cuff on the arms to hid a stitching line that was over dyed and turned a bit blue. Plus, the cuff will add to the styling of the jacket.
I included one of my inspiration photos below. I think my coat is reflecting the times without being a copy, and shows a cleaner more modern line. We will see how it all goes in the judging.